Start your week smart: Ukraine, Pakistan, Brazil, Alaska Airlines, Estelle Harris
By Andrew Torgan, CNN
Curious about cryptocurrencies but not sure where to start? Help is on the way. Some employers may soon offer you the ability to invest in bitcoin and other digital currencies through your 401(k).
Here’s what else you need to know to Start your week smart.
The weekend that was
• The southern coastal city of Odessa was attacked earlier today, with a local official saying a Russian missile strike hit “critical infrastructure”. Follow CNN’s full coverage of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine here.
• Imran Khan today survived an attempt to oust him as Pakistan’s prime minister after a no-confidence vote was blocked in parliament by the deputy president. Khan, who is facing the toughest challenge of his political career, has asked the country’s president to dissolve parliament and called on the nation to prepare for new elections.
• At least 14 people have been killed, including seven children, after days of heavy rains that triggered floods and landslides in Rio de Janeiro state, southeastern Brazil, the state said yesterday. State Civil Defense at CNN.
• Alaska Airlines canceled dozens of flights over the weekend as its pilots held information pickets in many cities across the United States amid a nearly 3-year standoff in contract negotiations with the airline.
• Estelle Harris, the actress best known for playing George Costanza’s mother in ‘Seinfeld’, died yesterday, her agent told CNN. She was 93 years old. Harris, whose distinctive voice was in demand in a variety of roles, unforgettablely played Estelle Costanza on the ’90s sitcom, often bickering with her on-screen husband Jerry Stiller and her fictional son, Jason Alexander.
The week ahead
After a week’s delay, the Senate Judiciary Committee is due to consider Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson’s nomination to the Supreme Court. Jackson’s confirmation hearings ended March 24 after rounds of questioning and heated exchanges with GOP senators. Last week, Republican Senator Susan Collins of Maine said she would vote to confirm Jackson to the High Court – the first GOP senator to do so.
California will hold a special primary election for the state’s 22nd congressional district. Former GOP Representative Devin Nunes kicked off this special primary contest with his resignation from Congress in January to join former President Donald Trump’s new social media venture.
The Federal Reserve will release the minutes of its last meeting in mid-March when officials announced they were raising interest rates – the first of what are expected to be a series of rate hikes this year to combat inflation. Economists and traders on Wall Street often scrutinize these minutes for clues about the timing of future interest rate moves.
April 7 is World Health Organization World Health Day 2022. And in an ironic confluence of events, it’s also National Beer Day in the United States.
Want more than 5 things?
This week on the Sunday edition of the 5 Things podcast, we conclude our special series on anti-Asian violence in America. In Part 2, CNN’s Harmeet Kaur examines how a wave of attacks has spurred women to adopt new self-protection strategies and examines how cities are coping with the threat to public safety. Listen now!
Pictures of the week
Check out more moving, compelling and thought-provoking footage from the week that was curated by CNN Photos.
What’s Happening in Entertainment
The 64th Grammy Awards
Trevor Noah will host the biggest night of music at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas tonight at 8 p.m. ET. Expect performances from Gen Z stars and nominees Lil Nas X, Olivia Rodrigo and Billie Eilish, plus appearances from Silk Sonic, John Legend and Carrie Underwood. However, Grammy-nominated Kanye West will not be performing.
The prequel to ‘Game of Thrones’ will be released this summer
Followers of all things Westeros, our long night of yearning after the end of the new “Game of Thrones” series – “House of the Dragon” is finally coming to fruition this summer. The highly anticipated prequel to HBO’s fantasy megahit, set some 200 years before the events of the original series, will premiere on August 21. (HBO and CNN are owned by WarnerMedia.)
What happens in sports
NCAA Men’s Basketball Championship
North Carolina and No. 1 seed Kansas will play for the 2022 NCAA Men’s National Basketball Championship at the Superdome in New Orleans on Monday. The win for the No. 8 seed UNC effectively ended the legendary career of Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski. “Coach K” coached at Duke for 42 seasons and is the NCAA’s all-time greatest winner, with national championships in 1991, 1992, 2001, 2010 and 2015.
After a nearly 100-day lockout that delayed spring training, Thursday is Major League Baseball’s opening day. The first pitch of the season opener between the Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees is scheduled for 1:05 p.m. ET.
The hottest topic in golf is whether Tiger Woods will make the shot when the Masters Tournament begins on Thursday. The 15-time major champion sparked speculation he could make a dramatic comeback to the sport after he was widely reported to have played a practice round at Augusta National last week. The 46-year-old, who hasn’t played in an official tournament since suffering serious leg injuries in a car accident in February 2021, is among the 91 starters at the event.
It’s quiz time!
Take CNN’s weekly news quiz to see how much you remember from the week that was! So far, 59% of other quiz fans have scored an 8 out of 10 or better this week. How well can you do?
Play with me
A little more sun for a Sunday morning
Start your week off right with this Beatles classic. (Click here to view)
™ & © 2022 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia company. All rights reserved.