Right to a family in the event of the death of a civil servant of the central administration covered by the national pension system – Applicable rates of death gratuity: DoP&PW OM
Right to a family in the event of the death of a State employee covered by the National Pension Scheme – Applicable rates of the death benefit
No. – 57/03/2022-P&PW(B)/8361 (1)
Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, Public Claims and Pensions
Pensions and Retirees Welfare Department
3rd Floor, Lok Nayak Bhavan, Khan Market,
New Delhi, dated October 28, 2022
Subject: Entitlement for the family in the event of the death of a civil servant of the central administration covered by the national pension system -reg.
The undersigned is hereby informed that the Department of Pensions and Retired Welfare has notified the Central Civil Service (Implementation of the National Pension Scheme) Rules, 2021 and the Central Civil Service (Payment of gratuities under the National Pension Scheme), 2021 which are applicable from the date of its publication in the Official Gazette, to govern service-related matters and for the granting of gratuities respectively to central government civilian employees covered by the national pension system.
2. Rule 20 of the Central Civil Service (NPS Implementation) Rules, 2021 provides for the entitlement of family members in the event of death of a Central Government covered by the National Pension Scheme. Pursuant to Rule 20, on the death of a Subscriber, who had exercised the Option or in the event of which the Default Option under Rule 10 of the CCS Rules (implementation of the NPS), 2021 is to benefit benefits under the Central Civil Service (Pension) Rules, 1972 or the Central Civil Service (Extraordinary Pension) Regulations, further action will be taken by the Head of Office for payment of benefits in accordance with the Civil Service Regulations central public (pension). However, if the death is attributable to the service of the State, an additional action will be taken by the Head of Office for the payment of the benefits in accordance with the Regulations of the Central Public Service (Extraordinary Retirement) subject to the satisfaction of all the conditions granting benefits under these rules.
3. If, on the death of the subscriber, benefits are payable to the family under the Central Civil Service (Extraordinary Pension) Regulations or the Central Civil Service (Pension) Regulations, the government contribution and corresponding returns in the accumulated pension capital of the subscriber will be transferred to the government account. The remainder of the accrued pension corpus will be paid in a lump sum to the person(s) in whose favor an appointment has been made under the Pension Funds Regulatory and Development Authority (Exits and Withdrawals in under the national pension system). If there is no such appointment or if the appointment made does not subsist, the amount of the remaining accrued pension capital will be paid to the legal heir(s).
4. In the event of the death of a subscriber who had exercised the option or in the event that the option defaults under Rule 10 of the CCS Rules (implementation of the NPS), 2021 is to receive the benefits of the national pension system, such benefits may be provided in accordance with the Pension Funds Development and Regulatory Authority (Leaving and Withdrawing under the National Pension System) Regulations 2015.
5. In the event of the death of State employees covered by the NPS during service, and in the event that the benefits of the pension corpus accumulated under the NPS have been used, the family member of the deceased state employee would also be entitled to a death grant in accordance with Rule 22 of the Central Civil Service (Payment of Gratuities under the NPS) Rules, 2021. The rates provided in the rules for death gratuities are the following :
|SL. No.||Duration of qualifying service||Death gratuity rate|
|(I)||Less than a year||Twice the emoluments.|
|(ii)||Once a year or more but less than five years||Six times the emoluments|
|(iii)||Five years or more but less than eleven years old||Twelve times the emoluments|
|(iv)||Eleven years or older but less than twenty years old re||Twenty times the emoluments|
|(v)||Twenty years or more||Half of the emoluments for each period of six months completed of qualifying service subject to a maximum of thirty-three times the emoluments:|
The maximum amount of death gratuity payable under this rule shall in no case exceed twenty lakh rupees.
6. All Ministries/Departments are requested that the above provisions regarding the entitlements of central government employees covered by the National Pension Scheme be made known to government officials covered by the NPS and staff responsible for pension benefits. retirement within the ministry/department. and attached/subordinate offices thereunder, for strict enforcement.
Indian Government Undersecretary
(According to the standard list)
Click to view/download PDF